Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Namibia Day 55, 56

24th and 25thof October

The beginning of this week was very difficult for me as I had little sleep on Sunday night coming back late from an event filled, active weekend. It was also my first day teaching remedial, which is the program at FHS that acts as a formal school for the kids who can not go to school for multiple reasons. Also there is an extreme heat wave going through Windhoek right now and humidity with it as well, it needs to rain! So between all of these issues it mounted for a difficult day.

I sat with girls for 45 minutes trying to explain the ones, tens, hundreds and thousands places and the students still were not understanding. I am not sure sometimes if it is the language barrier, or my accent, or just difficulties in learning or a mixture of all of them. I found myself getting very impatient and irritable and had to pray right in that moment. I just pray that I continue to lean towards the Lord in times of need instead of reacting the way I am naturally inclined to.

Today was a bit of a better day until I came home and realized that my camera lens is jammed so my camera will not work! I am so upset because I am almost home and I really want to be able to take pictures in my last couple weeks here as well as my lay over in London! Hopefully I will be able to figure out how to unjam it this week.

I also received 3 packages from home today! I feel like I always get so spoiled and receive them all at once. This was definitely a highlight of my day, thank you Mom and Mom-Mom for thinking of me!

Something that have been difficult for me during my time here have been noticing the infamous sore on certain children’s skin. Because this is such an HIV/AIDs prevalent country there are a lot of children as well infected with the disease. The external sore is a well known trait for the disease and is seen sometimes on our children. It is so sad to see this because it’s a reminder that the children I am working with do have a lot of difficulties beyond learning and education alone. I just want to continuously remember this when I am getting frustrated with them as well as when I return back State side that these children with HIV/AIDs have a face now and are personal to me!

On a lighter note another adjestment I am still getting used to is when someone says “Wow you’re figure keeps changing, you are looking fuller!” it is considered a compliment. And Yes, to answer your question I have heard this comment this week! Guess I will be running the moment I get home!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my Friend- I'm sorry it was a tough couple days. I'll be praying you have extra patience and love for these children as you teach them "simple" things. You are so cute- the compliment of a fuller figure. I hear 'ya. I was called fat the other week and told I'm starting to look like I have extra weight...thanks, I think?!? May you have a great rest of your week. May God be your strength and joy! I love you! -Sarah

    ReplyDelete